Timeline
Follow along with us as we review the important dates in the history of the Arboretum.
1963
 
Brice E. HayesBrice E. Hayes, Stanley's oldest son, takes the reins of the Foundation after Stanley's death.
1964 Amphibians and Reptiles ClassFirst children's summer classes held.

 

1966 Nature Center, circa 1960'sThe former Hill Dairy Barn, est. 1833, is transformed into a Nature Center.
1970 Woodland ChapelWoodland Chapel opened for its first outdoor services.
1975 Paul C. McClure Native Woody Plant PreserveThe Paul C. McClure Native Woody Plant Preserve established.
1976 Governor Otis Bowen at Hayes Arboretum.Governor Otis Bowen came to the Arboretum to dedicate Indiana's first solar greenhouse.
1977 Coneflowers Arboretum grows to its current 355 acres with the gift of property from Ruth and Andrew Scott.
1980 Brice E. Hayes Memorial FountainThe Brice E. Hayes Memorial Fountain dedicated to the memory of Brice, who died on January 2, 1980.
1982 Gift Shop (Closed in 2004)Gift shop opens at the Arboretum. (Closed in 2004).
Top of Page Back [1 | 3] Next

Hayes Arboretum  ▪  801 Elks Road   ▪  Richmond, Indiana  47374  ▪  765-962-3745