Growing in all Directions
Stanley W. Hayes, in his wisdom, established a Foundation to manage the assets of his estate, including the land that he had so carefully assembled earlier in the century beginning in 1915. That Foundation, known as Stanley W. Hayes Research Foundation, Inc. was chartered on December 5, 1959. His eldest son, Brice, an entrepreneur, inventor and owner of a railway appliance business in Chicago, Illinois was selected to be the chief executive of both the railway appliance business in Richmond (Hayes Track Appliance Company) and the newly-formed Foundation upon Stanley's passing in May of 1963 at the age of 97.
Importance of Educating Young People Established Early
The estate, known then as Hayes Arboretum, had a very successful "Grand Opening" on April 28, 1963 with more than 1,000 cars traveling over the gravel roads within the Arboretum to see the native beauty of the Arboretum at the onset of Spring. From 1963 through 1969, Brice Hayes had the duel roles of heading up the Foundation and leading Hayes Track Appliance Company. Plans were made in 1964 for the first children's summer classes in nature with 98 students attending classes in Stanley Hayes House. In 1966, with the inspiration of Mildred Hayes, the former Hill Dairy Barn, dating from 1833, was converted into a nature center, offering meeting space and nature exhibits.
1970's Brings Growth in Assets and Ideas
The 1970's saw an acceleration in the programs and services offered by the Arboretum. In 1970, the Woodland Chapel was opened for its first outdoor worship service. In 1972, the Arboretum's name changed to Hayes
Regional Arboretum, which more aptly described the objective of collecting, cultivating and managing the
140 species of trees, plants and shrubs which are native to the Whitewater River Valley Drainage Basin of southeastern Indiana and southwestern Ohio. This collection, which occupies a 10 acre site on the grounds, became known as The Paul C. McClure Native Woody Plant Preserve in April, 1975. It was named after the man who was the former superintendent of the Arboretum. In December of 1976, Indiana's first Solar Greenhouse was dedicated on the grounds of the arboretum. In 1977, the Arboretum grew to a total size of 355 acres with the acquisition by gift of property from Ruth and Andrew Scott.
Milestones mark the 1980's
In the 1980's, the progress, direction and agenda which was set forth by Brice E. Hayes was perpetuated by the Foundation's Board of Directors as Brice E. Hayes passed away on January 2, 1980. On May 4th, 1980, a memorial was dedicated to Brice
E. Hayes which, in part, was made possible through donations from his family and many friends. 1982 saw the opening of a gift shop at the Arboretum and in 1985, the Arboretum was the site of a test garden for All-America Rose Selections, Inc. In 1988, a 25th Anniversary of the opening of what is now Hayes Arboretum was held to commemorate the success and recognize the outstanding service the Arboretum had given to the community.
Success Dependent Upon Great People
The success of the Arboretum during these decades could not have been accomplished without the help of many dedicated people who helped implement his vision for a green space that would be an ideal location to educate the community about nature as well as a place to enjoy and appreciate. Paul McClure generously and loyally devoted most of his adult life to the Arboretum and the Reller family has played an important role at the Arboretum for two generations. Brice Hayes' second wife, Wanda M. Hayes took an active interest in the Arboretum.
The many ideas of many people all contributed to the success of the Arboretum over this 30 year period and helped "create the demand" for nature-related services in the Richmond community and surrounding areas. It was truly a time that the Arboretum was "Growing in All Directions!"